Energy Saving Tips
When it comes to making our world a healthier place, we think it is important to stay on top of cutting edge, “green” technology. In order to offer our electrical customers energy saving alternatives, we have educated ourselves on innovative, technological options in order to address customers’ concerns and offer them “green” solutions.
- Change fluorescent light bulbs. The heat from incandescent bulbs makes your air conditioner work harder and use more energy, elevating your bill. Ask Wiremasters about the new dimmers that can save you money!
- Before upgrading your air conditioner to a bigger unit, try tinting your windows!
- Turn off ceiling fans when you leave a room. They simply push air around; the motor produces heat and uses energy, which costs you money. Ask Wiremasters about Ecominders, the latest green technology. This technology automatically turns your fans and lights on or off for you when you enter or leave a room!
- Buy Energy Star appliances and lighting fixtures. They cost a little more but they will soon pay for themselves because they use less electricity.
- Avoid pre-rinsing dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.
- Clean the lint filter in your dryer before every load to dry your clothes faster and save money.
- Adjust the water level on your washing machine to match the load size, especially when using hot water. Always use a cold rinse.
- Limit the time you run your pool pump:
- A) Summer: six hours a day
- B) Winter: four hours a day
- Clean or replace your ac filter every month to trim your cooling costs and help your unit run more efficiently.
- Cool your home at 78° or warmer with the thermostat fan switch on “auto.” For additional savings, raise your thermostat to 82° or warmer when you are away from home.
Take 3 Steps for Florida’s Future
Watch this brief video from the University of Central Florida
What Are the Advantages of Dimmer Switches?
Dimmer switches are very convenient for controlling lighting in a room, you can turn the light low for relaxing, or when you want it brighter, you can adjust the lights to a perfect setting. There are some definite advantages to having dimmer switches, and electrical are glad to recommend them.
Energy efficiency is one of the main benefits of dimmer switches. Actually the energy that you save can be up to 98 percent, and this will also be evident in your electric bill. You can control the lighting in the room by presetting a dimmer switch to a certain level. The life of the bulb is also increased due to reduced lighting wattage.
Dimmer switches can be used in any room of the house, like the bedroom, bathroom or a secluded romantic corner. The control switch is relatively easy to operate; sometimes it is just a knob or a sliding switch. Nowadays remote control is used by many where just the touch of a button can change the ambiance of the room. This is one of the biggest advantages of the adjusted dimmer light switched lighting.
The longevity of the light bulb increases when dimmer switches are being used. For example if the lights are dimmed by 25 percent, you are conserving 1/5 of the electricity. A light bulb that would have normally lasted 4 years may last you 6 years.
Dimmer switches can be used for fluorescent lights as well, but the light effect is not as warm as the effect of a bulb. The cool look of the fluorescent bulb is due to its color. Also, a dimmer switch will not increase the life of a fluorescent light. However, dimming through fluorescent lighting is extremely affordable and convenient.
Before you install lights and switches in your home, or if you are considering replacing the ones you have, consult an expert electrician about the many benefits of dimmer switches.